7.29.2008

"Messy Spirituality" by Michael Yaconelli


Where to begin? How about this... I am a blog stalker. Yep, that is me. I enjoy reading other people's blogs. It allows me to be a part of people's lives, even if I have never met them, haven't seen them in a long time, or just want to know them better. So, I happened upon a friend's blog and enjoyed keeping up with her and her husband's life. One day she posted about a bloggy blog opportunity, and me being the reader i am couldn't pass it up... especially when the book seemed to be speaking directly to me.


I am a mess. As maybe you can tell from my last post, I have always and consistently struggled with discipline, being consistent. I guess you could say the only thing consistent in my life is my inconsistency. I love lists and enjoy marking things off of a list, but I am absolutely terrible at not just sitting around and being lazy. Here are the two things that suck up most of my time: TV watching and Spider solitaire. Its terrible.


So, I am a mess. But, this book spoke directly to me.


At first I questioned it. Was this book only going to give me an excuse to be messy, an excuse to not strive to be disciplined and consistent.


No, it didn't. But, it did give me the understanding that (what I would assume) most Christians struggle to be consistent, especially in today's time and society. Our life is busy and in our busyness, we don't slow down and allow ourselves time to spend with God.


This book allowed me time to explore why I try to hide my messiness; why am I not honest with people about what is going on in my life? Why am I afraid to say I struggle with being single? Why am I afraid to let people know I struggle with having a passion for the Word? Because somehow we are afraid to live authentically. Its as if we are afraid that if we live authentically then we won't be good Christians.


What Yaconelli does is calls us to live authentic lives. To realize that growth and maturity in faith comes at different paces for all people and at different times. By living his life authentically through this book he shows us that it is ok to be messy, to live messy lives and to call each other to be messy.


Bibically speaking, it is only when we live in the light that we can ever begin to address the sin and allow God to work.


So, if you find yourself busy and quickly putting God aside, then pick up this book. It helped me reevaluate my priorities and also allowed me to extend grace to myself in my busyness. This book, Messy Spirituality, is a keeper my friends!

No comments: